The Architectural Review Committee (ARC)
What is the ARC?
The Capes CC&Rs state in Article 7.1: “No improvement shall be commenced, erected, placed, or altered on any lot until the construction plans and specifications have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Architectural Review Committee” (ARC).
The ARC is a committee formed by the authorization of Article VII of the CC&Rs. The purpose of these rules and of the committee is to:
- Ensure the consistency of architectural design and appearance throughout the Capes
- Establish guidelines and standards that apply uniformly to all homeowners
- Protect property values through uniform standards of quality and consistency
- Ensure that new construction and alterations to existing homes exist in harmony with the unique environment and architectural theme of The Capes
- Assist the homeowner, where possible, to address unique situations
An application to the Architectural Review Committee (ARC) is required by any owner who wishes to change anything on the exterior of his/her dwelling, place any structure on his/her property, or change any hardscapes (patios, decks, walkways, etc.). The review requirement does not apply to the interior of the home. It does apply for any new construction, remodels where the exterior of the home is changed or modified, fencing, or driveway changes. Additionally, the homeowner must abide by all building codes, requirements, and regulations of Tillamook County. Approval of the ARC is not approval to build or remodel – only Tillamook County can issue such approval.
If you are considering making improvements to your home, first review the Architectural Design Requirements and Review Procedures, which will assist you with the process. You will then need to complete and submit either a Request for Architectural Review or a Request for Minor Review form prior to beginning the work.
- The Request for Architectural Review form should be used for new home construction or for renovations where major structural changes are being requested.
- The Request for Minor Review form should be used in most other cases:
- Like-for-like remodels/repairs/replacements
- Remodels/repairs/replacements with minor changes in materials or colors (e.g. changing wood decking to composite, changing deck stain color, changing railing style on decks, etc.)
- Fireplace conversion to propane where a propane tank will be added to the exterior of the home
- Heat pump installation where a mechanical unit will be added to the exterior of the home
- Installation of an exterior outlet for the purpose of charging an electric vehicle
- Most other exterior work requiring an ARC review
- Once approved, it is your responsibility to ensure that your builder/contractor/subcontractor is familiar and working in compliance with all Construction Regulations.
All ARC documents can be found from the navigation menu above by visiting Documents>Forms and Information and clicking on the directory marked ARC AND MAINTENANCE. If you have further questions, feel free to contact either The Capes office or the ARC committee.
The ARC meets on an as-needed basis and corresponds largely via email to review incoming requests. If you are interested in volunteering for the ARC, please contact the committee at ARC@TheCapesHOA.org.
Current committee members:
- Gene Mitchell
- Claude Zeller – Board Liaison
- Scott Newcombe
- Randy Dobslaw
- Steve Plaisted
- Jenny Green – Resident Manager (Administrative Support only)